The sunrise is about an hour later than when we first arrived on the island, but I still get to see the slow change of colors every morning, occasionally I am disappointed with my show but this morning was a perfect example of how quickly things can change on the island. I started seeing the sky painted with beautiful pinks and oranges and my first thought was it is going to be a killer sunrise especially with a professional photographer out and about taking pictures. But as I continued to write a blog post and drink my coffee, I looked up and 10 minutes later the island was completely fogged in. I really did not see that happening a few minutes ago.

This morning I went out picking the last of the blackberries I need to make jam before leaving the island, I think that project will wait until the weather hits on Thursday and Friday, but I will mention that a little farther down the blog. As I was walking back from the North Trail with about 4 cups of berries, I heard Cal out and about already and my shadow was ready to start following me for the day.

Brian and I decided to start with cleaning up Clivus, the composting toilet down near the Cove. Always a fun job and equally fun having a 5-year-old wanting to help and ask a million questions. But he was fun and quickly figured out how the whole system worked and then spent about 5 minutes explaining it to Brian. Then Brian took the time to explain the diesel engine and how the tram works to him which Cal obviously understood because as he and I were walking past the campground and the old parts of another diesel engine, Cal explained how most of the parts worked. In fact, Cal brought a puzzle game with him to the island called (I think) Crankits. It is a puzzle with cogs or machinery pieces and you need to put the individual pieces together so they work together to move. Well Cal saw he the old diesel and decided when we got back to the cottage he would put together a puzzle like the diesel engine and he did and it moved perfectly.

As our first visitors came ashore and climbed the tower, I had a beautiful serenade by one of the gentleman, Peter Conway who sang to me “I want to marry a lighthouse keeper” at the top of the tower. I posted the video on our Friends of Seguin Island Light Station Facebook page if you want to hear him do a great Bing Crosby impersonation! Thanks so much for this memory!

Now back to the potential weather event happening on Thursday and Friday. Everything on an island is based around the weather and sea conditions as we have found out all summer long. NOAA is predicting a wind event starting Wednesday afternoon so Ethan has been keeping us up to date as to whether we would have a day off island this week. In fact, he suggested we send him with our empty water containers yesterday and he would bring us back water today just in case we were here all week without a break. He also sent me a message last night when he was in Bath in case we needed any extra provisions, at the time I thought we were all set until I opened the last ½ & ½ this morning. I need coffee and ½ & ½ daily to survive and everyone else around me happiness is dependent on it as well. An early morning message asking if he could stop at Percy’s just in case before coming to the island today. As the morning ferry group started up the hill, I realized my guests were carrying 2 5-gallon water containers and a bottle of ½ & ½ for me, now that is love!

The tours continued, stories were told and a photographer was documenting everything. We had 2 groups of visitors that had connections to Seguin in their history. The first group consisted of 3 ladies whose great grandfather was Captain Perez Martin, a ship’s captain from East Boston. His ship, the Gondola, did a trade route between Nova Scotia and Boston. On the morning of December 5, 1980, the keepers on Seguin saw the schooner anchored or aground on Seguin Ledge during a winter gale. Because of the sea conditions, the lifesaving men could not make it to the ship to save the captain who remained with his ship but the crew were lucky enough to escape without injury. Unfortunately, Captain Martin perished in the waters surrounding the island.

Another family member of a past keeper, Fred Kahrl (1966-67) came for a visit with his wife. I had met his sister and family earlier this summer. Allin and his wife, Meridith, were able to climb the tower and take many pictures to add to Fred’s experience on the island.

At 1:30pm, I quickly headed down to the beach to say goodbye to my overnight guests and to get one more hug from Cal before they headed back on the ferry. I can’t wait to see the pictures Michele took and I hope she got my good side in all the photos! You can follow the pictures also on her website,

The rest of the afternoon gave us a chance to clean up the cottages, change bed linens and start figuring out our provisions for the next 5 days. We are hopefully leaving the island on Sunday for the end of our stay here and we need to make sure our food will last until Sunday just in case we are truly on island until then. We should be good but pasta may be the main staple in most of the meals! The biggest concern will be clean laundry but I think we will be good!

Finally, at 6pm, Ethan gave us the go ahead for a short trip ashore tomorrow morning, so Brian and I gathered a lot of our belongings and carried them down to the engine house for the early morning dinghy trip. This way, we can get most everything we own off island tomorrow and on Sunday we will only need to pack a duffle with clothing and scoop Pickles up.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Thank you for your support!

Plan Your Trip Today →